To enable the breakout room feature for your own use:
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
- In the navigation menu, click Settings.
- Click the Meeting tab.
- Under In Meeting (Advanced), click the Breakout room toggle to enable it.
- If a verification dialog appears, click Enable to verify the change.
Note: If the option is grayed out, it has been locked at either the group or account level. You need to contact your Zoom admin.
- (Optional) Select the check boxes for the following breakout room options, then click Save:
- Allow meeting hosts to pre-assign participants to breakout rooms
- Allow hosts to broadcast message to participants. This allows the host to broadcast a message to all participants in breakout rooms.
- Allow hosts to create, rename, and delete breakout rooms when rooms are open.
Note: This option must be enabled by Zoom before it is available and requires 5.9.3 or higher.
- Allow host to view activity statuses of participants in breakout rooms (e.g. share screen, reactions). This allows hosts and co-hosts to quickly view participants' audio and video status, if they are sharing their screen, and any active reactions or nonverbal feedback. This feature requires hosts and participants to have client version 5.10.3 or higher for activity statuses to appear, and does not apply to participants joining on certain devices such as phone, H.323, and SIP.
How to use breakout rooms
After enabling breakout rooms, users can do the following:
- Manage breakout rooms (host)
- Pre-assign participants to breakout rooms (host)
- Participate in breakout rooms (participants)